Thursday, February 20, 2014

Edible peanut butter play dough

I haven't written for awhile. At first I just hadn't updated for a few weeks, and then it was a few months, and then it felt overwhelming to go back and try to catch up.

So I'm not catching up. I'm just starting from now.

And right now, I'm really excited about this new play dough.


I had pinned this delightful idea for an edible play dough: marshmallows, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. I wanted to cut the extra sugar because, let's be honest, three marshmallows should cover my preschooler for the day.

I pulled out my baking ingredients to find a substitute, and was struck by inspiration: cocoa powder! No added sugar, dark chocolate health benefits, AND it lends a nice subtle chocolate flavor.

My recipe ended up as:

- Two marshmallows
- About 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter
- About 1 tbsp cocoa powder

Microwave the marshmallows and peanut butter, then stir together. Add the cocoa powder and stir until it's not sticky. Add more cocoa powder if needed.

This didn't make a lot, just enough to make a ball in the palm of my hand. I would make this much for a snack, and double it for a true play dough activity.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! What a fun idea! I've never tried marshmallows in my peanut butter but we've had a wonderful snack recipe in our family for over 3 decades that we call "Peanut Butter Balls". Everyone I've ever shared it with wants the recipe. It's a great healthy snack that I never feel guilty about serving or consuming! ;) I've tweaked the recipe over the years and even recently added cocoa powder too. I like to use creamy natural peanut butter and blend my powdered milk very fine in the blender so the peanut butter balls have a texture like play-dough. Here's how I'm making it lately:

    1/2 cup finely blended powdered milk
    2 rounded TBS cocoa powder *optional*

    mix powders together in a medium size mixing bowl then add:

    1 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup honey

    You can adjust the amounts depending on the consistency of the brands you buy but this is a good place to start. If you don't want it chocolatey then omit the cocoa powder and use 3/4 cup of powdered milk. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for several days. If it starts to dry out, you can crumble it over ice cream for a super yummy treat. Hope you enjoy this tasty treat as much as my family has over the years. I can't wait to try your marshmallow version. I'm sure my boys will love it!

    ReplyDelete