Sunday, June 17, 2012

Playroom shelf labels

Oh, what? I found a project on Pinterest? Weird.

I wanted to use this binder clip idea for organization in Ellie's playroom:

Since I've set up rotation bins on Ellie's toys, my idea was to laminate labels and then Velcro them to the binder clips, so I could swap out tags as the toys rotate. The tags had both a photo of the toy and the word, to let Ellie be able to match the item and the picture, and be exposed to some language.

However, they were too tall, and every time I pulled a bin off the shelf, it would flip the tag off. Ellie also quickly discovered she could pull the tags off and run around with them.

Here was attempt #1:

You can see the problem, right?

So I made a few changes and came up with this:

I mod-podged (what is the past tense of that??) fabric onto the binder clips (another parenthetical note, this may not have been the best option; it worked but it is STIFF and hard to open those clips!). I made the labels a quarter of page and laminated them, then secured them to the inside of each shelf.

I also decided to use the small labels I originally made on the bins, so we knew what was inside (since you can't see the labels under the bins).



Here's the whole shebang:


I do like the little pop of color that the binder clips add. And how lucky was I that Ikea made a lampshade the EXACT same colors as the bins I got from Target??

Lest you get the wrong idea, by the way, here is the other side of my playroom. Let's be honest -- this what it looks like most of the time. But hey, maybe the organization will help?


EDIT: I've since seen that spray adhesive and the no-fray stuff is supposed to work well to cover binder clips. I'd probably give that a go. The mod podge worked but not perfectly. 

On a more important note, here is Ellie actually USING these labels to put away her toys!


No comments:

Post a Comment