Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Homeschool preschool: horse theme

In January, I started doing additional structured activities at home with Ellie. These follow my ideal way of learning for her: it's child-led, theme-based, and play-centered.

Each month, she chooses a theme. I find or create activities for her in that theme, around broad educational categories. Many of those overlap, but I try to identify a primary learning objective for each one and hit a number of categories each week. Each day we (usually) do one or two activities, depending on our schedule.

We're on month three, and it's working because I'm planning and prepping EVERYTHING the month before. I've tried planning without prepping beforehand, and then I end up quitting after a few days because I get behind.

Here are links and photos of month 1, week 4!

MONTHLY THEME: ANIMALS

WEEK 4: HORSES


Math: 
Horse race game

Measure things around the house in hands

Science: Horse anatomy

Music: Rhythm cards

Fine motor: Clothespin horse color matching (she discovered these could stand up!)



Geography: Dress up a horse (File 1 and File 2. So. Much. Cutting. So worth it.)


History: Horse gait flipbook with early photography


Cooking/kitchen: Carrot-apple-cinnamon oatmeal (Ellie peeled the carrots and measured the oatmeal; Sam dumped in the ingredients)

No comments:

Post a Comment